What level of elearning interactivity is required?
ELearning varies in complexity. Some resembles a basic PowerPoint presentation, and others rival a Disney Pixar production. To determine the level of interactivity required for your eLearning project, consider your subject matter, target audience, technology environment and budget. Typically, projects fall into one of three categories:
Elearning that is informative takes a linear, passive approach that contains 75%+ text and demands little of the learner; however, it may also include:
- Graphics and images
- Simple animations
- Basic Quiz Questions
Elearning that is interactive takes a linear, active approach that contains more complex simulations and scenarios and may also include:
- Navigation menus, glossaries, or links to resources
- Clickable animated graphics, audio or video
- Scenario-based case studies and examples
- More elaborate exercises and quizzes
Elearning that is immersive takes a non-linear, real-time approach that frequently involves gaming technology and may also include:
- 3D simulations
- Custom videos, interactive 3D objects, and digital avatars
- Simulations involving branching or pathing
- Case study-based tests and assessments
Build it or outsource it?
Once you determine the level of interactivity required by your elearning project, assess whether to tackle it in-house or outsource it.
Do you have the resources?
Consider your organizational resources and their individual skills.
- Do you have subject matter experts to provide the information and detail?
- Do you have instructional designers, content developers, and graphic designers who know how to construct the information into an engaging learning experience?
- Do you have a project manager to guide the tasks, resources, costs and schedules?
- Do you have a quality assurance team who can provide testing and feedback?
Do you have the time?
If you do have the skilled resources to tackle an eLearning project, are they available for YOUR project? Most clients underestimate the time required to produce eLearning projects. Industry standard time estimates are as follows (number of hours required to produce one hour of seat time):
- Informative (120 – 160 hours)
- Interactive (180 – 230 hours)
- Immersive (250 – 350 hours)
Do you have the tools and skills?
Today’s eLearning experts use tools such as HTML5, Camtasia, Adobe Captivate, and Articulate Storyline. These powerful tools coupled with skilled resources and an environment optimized for recording video, sound and voiceover talent, and you have what it takes for in-house eLearning development.
Here is a list of resources required on the typical eLearning project as well as the percentage of time each is needed per project:
- Project Manager 40%
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) 25%
- Voiceover Talent 20%
- Quality Assurance 20%
- Graphic Designer 35%
- Content Developer 35%
- Instructional Designer 80%
Request a Quote
If you decide to outsource your eLearning project, Logical Imagination would love the opportunity to provide a quote and earn your business!
We specialize in creating customized courses that engage learners and improve performance. And, we build multi-device solutions!
If you decide to handle your eLearning projects in-house, don’t forget that we offer training in products like Camtasia , Storyline and Adobe Captivate so that your internal staff stays on the cutting-edge of eLearning technology.